Monday, April 9, 2012

April 9 - Afterward

Afterward


Natural as lawyer's fees, subpoenas and divorce decrees,

we compare notes. I say, you know the marriage is gone

when you count his condoms and one's missing.

She says, no, it's when you find one in his wallet

and he says, it's just in case something comes up.

I say, I discovered he was cheating on our tenth anniversary

and gifted him my diaphragm, cut in pieces.

She says, she woke up one night to find him

under the kitchen table jerking off

into another woman's lace panties. You win, I say.

Hers picks up the kids on Fridays and hands over clippings

from advice columns on parenting.

Sometimes I open my garage door

and mine's standing there. I can't decide

if he looks like a beaten dog

or the guy from the Halloween movies

and the hell of it is, I'm not sure there's a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment